Friday 2 April 2010

Music Video Re-Edit

I decided to re-edit my music video to create a more successful outcome. I changed the plot to include more repeats of sections of footage, which added familiarity to the story and make it less ambiguous. In the re-edit, when it reached the factory, I used the roll effect on shots of the doll, and then showed flashes of previous images (as if the 'creature' has decided it doesn't like its new surroundings and has chosen to leave instead). I ended the video with the same shots of the flashing lights on the trees (as at the beginning) to give the idea that the 'creature' has returned to its planet.

I really took into account the musicality of the song and matched the imagery to the beat of the music in order to conform with one of the most important conventions of music videos. For example, at the beginning I used jump cuts between the images of the moon and the trees which changed on the beat, rather than having a long fluid take.

I also included much more effects in the re-edit. For example, I used a wave warp on the establishing shot of the landscape, which followed the melody of the song. I also added a zoom effect on the shot of the rocking horse in the park, which acted as a transition into the next shot.

I made the cuts between shots much quicker to add to the pace of the video, rather than having long takes. I also tried to make the surrealism of the plot much more apparent, as this was my original intention. Therefore, I particularly focused on incorporating repeated shots of the eye and doll, which I feel successfully gave the video a strange vibe.

No comments:

Post a Comment